Advanced Training Certificate: Applied Archetypal Astrology
March 23rd – July 7th, 2023
16 Live Courses | Offered Live via Zoom
What you will receive:
- 16 Interactive Live Webinar Sessions with world recognized experts in archetypal psychology and archetypal astrology
- 16 Video Learning Sessions to watch at your convenience
- A Learning Resource Guide with links to suggested books, articles, films
- A Private, on-line Discussion Forum
- Pacifica Graduate Institute Advanced Training Certificate upon successful completion of the course
“Astrology consists of symbolic configurations, as does the collective unconscious with which psychology is concerned: The planets are the ‘gods,’ symbols of the powers of the unconscious.” C. G. Jung
The times they are a changing, and we need a new language for a new era. Archetypal astrology offers a navigational tool for seeing through personal and global chaos to the deeper currents that influence individuals and nations. This Advanced Training Certificate brings together internationally recognized experts—an experienced Jungian analyst, an archetypal astrologer, and a Jungian scholar—who will introduce students to the language of archetypal astrology. In addition, they will present case studies of how they apply this language in clinical, corporate, and creative work.
Astrology and archetypal psychology mutually enrich each other in offering a deeper revelation of the interconnected nature of the visible and invisible worlds. This course teaches students how to dissolve the artificial divide between inner and outer, microcosm and macrocosm.
The Advanced Training Certificate course consists of 16 pre-recorded lectures that students can watch at their convenience. The lectures are preparation for live, weekly interactive sessions with master teachers. Rather than offering a single perspective, students will learn multiple approaches to understand and apply archetypal astrology for personal and professional development.
Decoding the universal language of archetypes increases our capacity to hold multiplicity as a response to polycrises. Students will realize that an archetypal perspective is not only useful, it is essential.
This course is ideal if:
- You have a basic working knowledge of astrology and you have an accurate copy of your natal chart
- You wish to begin training in archetypal astrology
- You are interested in learning how to understand and apply archetypal astrology in your own life
- You are a depth psychologist or a therapist of any orientation wishing to use archetypal astrology in your practice as a map of the psyche
You are interested in the archetypal psychology of James Hillman
You are interested in the practical applications of archetypal astrology in the corporate world
- You are interested in the insights archetypal astrology offers your creative practice.
- You are a coach or a consultant curious about how to blend archetypal thinking with a developmental model to more effectively lead—ourselves, and others.
Module I: An Introduction to Archetypal Thinking with Elizabeth Nelson, Ph.D.
(12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Week One: Thursday, March 23rd (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Developing an Archetypal Eye
Week Two: Thursday, March 30th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Recognizing Archetypes in Culture
Week Three: Thursday, April 6th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Life Purpose and the Nodes of the Moon
Week Four: Thursday, April 13th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Introducing Archetypes of Creativity, Part I: Mercury and Saturn
Week Five: Thursday, April 20th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Introducing Archetypes of Creativity, Part II: Uranus, Neptune, and Pluto
Module II: A Typological Approach with Marianne Meister, Ph.D.
(9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
Week Six: Saturday, April 29th (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
The 4 Elements in Astrology – Fire, Earth, Air, and Water – and in Jungian Typology – Intuition, Sensation, Thinking, and Feeling
Week Seven: Saturday, May 6th (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
The 12 Sun-Signs or the 4 Elements in 3 Modalities each
Week Eight: Saturday, May 13th (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
The 10 Planets as Gods in us. The 12 Houses and Jung’s concepts of Introversion and Extraversion
Week Nine: Saturday, May 20th (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
Behind every Complex is an Archetype: The Archeytypal structure as a basis of the Complex structure in the birth chart
Week Ten: Saturday, May 27th (9:00 AM – 10:30 AM PT)
Sun and Moon as Father – and Mother Archetypes as well as Father- and Mother Complexes in each individual
Module III: Applied Archetypal Astrology with Laurence Hillman, Ph.D.
Week Eleven: Thursday, June 1st (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Staging Your Inner Astrological Play
Week Twelve: Thursday, June 8th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
How to Understand a Chart in 3 Minutes
Week Thirteen: Thursday, June 15th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Venus in a Chocolate Mousse
Week Fourteen: Thursday, June 22nd (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
Introduction to Archetypes at Work
Week Fifteen: Thursday, June 29th (12:00 PM – 1:30 PM PT)
The Polypoetic Mind for Today’s Leaders
Week Sixteen: Thursday, July 6th (10:00 AM – 11:30 AM PT)
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Cultivate an archetypal eye to understand the poesis of soul
- Discern the dynamics of the theatrical, polypoetic psyche
- Apply the archetypal eye to the participants’ personal and professional lives
- Understand the Hermetic idea “As above, so below” and be able to speak cogently about the correspondences between macrocosm and microcosm
- Acquire expertise in selected archetypal figures and patterns
- Apply archetypal pattern recognition to astrological charts, organizational life, and world events
- Understand the idea of a development plan for individual archetypes
March 23rd – July 7th, 2023
- $795.00 – Pacifica Student Rate
- $995.00 – Pacifica Alumni, Full Time Students, & Senior Rate
- $1095.00 – General Rate
About the Teachers
Laurence Hillman, PhD
Dr. Hillman has been practicing archetypal astrology for 45 years. He is the co-creator of Archetypes at Work™, a cutting-edge method to assess and develop people, and applies it to help individuals and organizational leaders understand their archetypal patterns. He lectures internationally and is the author of Alignments (Lantern Books, 2002), Planets in Play (Tarcher/Penguin, 2007), and Archetypes at Work (Matador, 2019).
Marianne Meister, Ph.D.
Dr. Marianne Meister, is a Jungian psychoanalyst and psychotherapist with her own practice in Zurich. She is a training analyst at the C.G. Jung Institute Zurich and author of the book, The Key to the Self, Understanding Yourself Through Depth Psychological Astrology.
Elizabeth Eowyn Nelson, PhD
Dr. Nelson, faculty at Pacifica Graduate Institute, has been a professional writer and editor for more than 30 years. Her books include Psyche’s Knife (Chiron, 2012) and The Art of Inquiry (Spring Publications, 2017). She lectures internationally on Jungian and archetypal psychology, and has published numerous scholarly papers on the presence of archetypal images in personal, professional, and cultural life.
Cancellations 14 days or more prior to the program start date receive a 100% refund of program registrations. After 14 days, up to 7 days prior to the program start date, a 50% refund is available. For cancellations made less than 7 days of program start date, no refund is available.
For additional information, including travel, cancellation policy, and disability services please visit our general information section.